Main Purpose and Overall Objective
• To assist the Executive Chef in producing high quality meals and services within the required deadlines and to diner’s satisfaction.
• To supervise shift (on a relief basis) to ensure that the production of meals on that shift are of the highest quality and are achieved by production methods that comply with all health, safety and hygiene legislation.
Job Description in broad Behavioural terms:
Essential Job Functions Food Production
1. Monitor and maintain consistent food standards and quality across all areas and during all stages of production and supply to ensure the HACCP procedures are followed.
2. Placing orders in the absence of the Executive Chef using nominated suppliers.
3. To have total accountability for the running of the shift and to ensure stock takes are produced weekly in conjunction with the Executive Chef.
4. To participate in the development and design of seasonal menus and purchase all food and food related products to achieve food budgeted cost controls ensuring minimum wastage and to ensure all menus are costed accurately.
5. Ensure that the appropriate methods of cooking and presentation are used to maintain high standards of service.
6. Ensure safety and security is adhered to at all times.
7. Ensure each member of the shift has sufficient knowledge of produced dishes to be able to advise serving staff/diners, e.g. allergens and content.
8. Wastage: correct handling of surplus food after service.
1. Maintains and monitors quality, conducting quality control checks according to HACCP regulations.
2. Conducts quality checks of goods received, ensuring legal and quality standards are maintained. 3. Cleaning schedules: assist in the implementation of the Kitchen cleaning schedule to the agreed standards
4. Monitors and ensures compliance with recipe specification.
5. Assess all dishes before leaving kitchen for taste, presentation and food quality.
6. Control food cost by assisting in training kitchen staff on the proper methods of food preparation and handling including how to handle leftover food items.
7. Ensure that all kitchen employees consistently adhere to uniform, personal hygiene and appearance standards within the Kitchen and servery areas.
8. Co-ordinate food storage ensuring proper storage and use of both cooked and raw foodstuffs in compliance with food hygiene requirements.
9. Organise and prepare private dinners as required.
10. Organise chemical supplies.
1. Ensure shift is properly organized, staffed and supervised.
2. Create daily production schedule to ensure proper staffing requirements are met.
3. Document underperforming staff members e.g. handover diary.
1. To undertake shift staff briefing with all team members.
2. Teach junior chefs and apprentices new skills and monitor their progress.
3. Maintain effective communication within the kitchen, be responsive to staff suggestions and concerns and work to resolve problems.
4. Maintain effective working relationship with food and beverage management and other departments.
5. Conduct regular inspections of the entire kitchen/dishwashing areas and coolers and promptly act to correct deficiencies found during inspection.
Report all machinery faults e.g. coolers/freezers and promptly act to remedy e.g. callout, visual check of trip switch/fuse.
6. Is customer-oriented and able to converse with diners.
7. Maintain a detailed knowledge of the full menu and be able to explain dish descriptions including allergens. Undertake any other duties or responsibilities which may be assigned from time to time by the Executive Chef.
Health & Safety Requirements All members of the Kitchen staff should, at all times:
• Apply health and safety regulations as appropriate and to maintain a safe working environment at all times;
• Follow food hygiene, health and safety procedures (and risk assessments/method statements) of the College and those specific to the Kitchen)
• Ensure that all tools are cleaned and put away in their correct and safe place;
• Use appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for tasks as necessary and as determined by the Executive Chef.
• Report any faulty equipment to Maintenance and make note in shift handover notes.
Experience, Ability, Knowledge & Skills:
· Able to work at a rapid pace while maintaining attention to detail; ability to multi-task
· Must have good supervisory skills.
· Must have good communication with cooks and front of house.
· Must be skilled in time management.
· Must have teaching and motivational skills.
· Must exhibit an excellent service attitude and be willing to go out of their way to accommodate the guests and exceed their expectations.
· Must be flexible and able to adjust to meet the changing needs of guests.
· Must maintain a level of professionalism and communicate effectively.
· Must show enthusiasm for the job and the restaurant
· Must be considerate, patient and willing to help out fellow employees.
· Must have a good self-image and be able to command the respect of the employees.
· Must be able to tolerate pressure and work calmly and efficiently during busy times.
· Possess the highest work ethics, personal morals and honesty beyond reproach
· Minimum of 2 years’ experience required in fine dining or upscale restaurant.
· Professional, articulate, friendly, and punctual.
· Possesses and exhibits the drive to provide exceptional service.
· Full time flexible hours are required (able to work days, nights, weekends, holidays).
· Must be able to stand/walk for 8 hours; bend, push, pull; lift
· Proficient in computer skills including POS systems (GAAP)
· Professional appearance appropriate for a fine dining establishment.
Start Date: Immediately
Job Title: Senior Chef
Report to: Executive Chef