I am now in search of a very strong Demmi Chef who is strong in ALL AREAS OF THE KITCHEN for a top 5 restaurant to be based in Cape Town. The candidate I am looking for must have solid and sound experience in a 5 star property or Fine Dining Restaurant with a proven track record and excellent references.
To be responsible for the running of the whole section and assist the senior chefs in managing the kitchen effectively.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Working with the Executive Chef and the kitchen team to maintain high standards in the quality of food both as to its preparation and its presentation
- Working in all areas of the kitchen
- Inform the senior chef on duty of anything which is broken or finished
- Preparing the mise en place needed for service and ensuring that the kitchen is set up ready for service.
- Reporting directly to the Executive chef any problems that pertain to the kitchen
- All food to be tasted on a daily basis.
- Provide outstanding and friendly service to the guests at all times
- Plating of cooked breakfasts, lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner when needed and to the correct standard
- Receiving & checking the quality of produce delivered.
- Check all requisitions is strictly followed by other departments
- Discuss all provisions-related problems directly with the Executive Chef on a daily basis.
- Check proper storage of all equipment.
- Efficient stock control including regular stock rotations of the Fish, Meat and Walking Fridges as well as the freezers.
- Reducing and controlling the amount of breakages and wastage in your areas of responsibility
Hygiene, Health and Safety & Maintenance:
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of the kitchen at all times
- Maintaining hygiene standards in all areas of the Kitchen i.e. Dry store, Fridges etc
- Ensure that all equipment is clean and in good working order
- Maintaining hygiene standards in all food preparation and restaurant back of house areas
- Be on the lookout for all maintenance issues and ensure that the correct persons are contacted and that the work is carried out to the correct standard
Abilities and Skills:
- A Passion for cooking first and foremost and ambition to improve your skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate in English
- Effective listening skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills – may have to interact with guests
- Organisational skills - Ability to plan, coordinate, execute and follow up
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Ability to multitask
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to motivate yourself
- Able to work in all areas of the kitchen - Cold Kitchen, Pastry, Meat ,Fish and Sauces
- Knife skills
- Good wine knowledge, able to understand food & wine pairing
- Basic knowledge of HACCP and Hygiene
- Must be of sober habits
- Neat and presentable
- Formal cookery diploma
- 2years experience in 5 * Hotel
The successful candidate should have an enquiring mind, be methodical, pay attention to detail, be creative, show perseverance and patience, ability to work under pressure, have high energy levels, be flexible, have the ability to overcome obstacles and persist with the task at hand, be decisive and adaptable. If you have the knowledge, skills and required experience, and this sounds like a challenge you are ready for and you I would love to hear from you.