Our client is a vibrant, well-established 360-seater restaurant situated in Knysna and specializing in seafood, tempting salads, sushi, fusion cuisine and sinful desserts. It. It can serve up to apply below customers a day in season and out of season, averages 200-covers per day.
- Summary of position: Assist the Head Chef to oversee and co-ordinate day-to-day running of the kitchen. Sous-chefs are in charge of making sure all kitchen equipment is in working order. They are responsible for inventory, product and supply rotation, and menu tasting. Sous-chefs need to be responsive and have the ability to improvise when a problem arises. Sous chef is responsible for planning and directing food preparation in a kitchen. This will involve a large degree of supervising other kitchen staff. The sous chef may also need to effectively discipline underperforming staff members
Key Performance Areas:
- Maintain brand reputation ,Ethos and Values of the company
- Build long term relationships with our customers, suppliers and staff
- Responding, handling, solving complaints and concerns
- Understand and implement completely all policies, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines and training programs.
- Achieve company objectives in quality , appearance of facility , sanitation and cleanliness through training of employees and creating positive , productive working environment
- Assume responsibility for the kitchen when the Head Chef is off or on leave
- Ensure high level of personal hygiene and uniform standard.
- Ensure the correct and sufficient quantities of perishables and non- perishables available as seasonally required
- Assume full responsibility of the kitchen & staff when the Head Chef is off
Staff Management KPI’S
- Establish the working schedule with the Head Chef and organize the work in the kitchen so that everything works like a “well-oiled machinery”.
- Maintain order and discipline in the kitchen during working hours
- Staff should be on premises 10 minutes before the commencement of their shift.
- Attend required meetings
Prep of Food KPI’S
- Help with preparation and standard management of all food and plating
- The Sous Chef will ensure that portions are correct and the food is plated in an agreed upon manner
- Ensure smooth and timeous output from the kitchen during service hours
- Ensure that all recipes are followed consistently
- Work with the executive chef to produce diversified menus in accordance with the restaurant’s policy and vision.
- Create tasting menus for clients interested in contracting the food for different events (wedding, banquets, corporate dinners, birthday parties, etc.) from their kitchen
- Assisting with the purchasing and storage of food
- Liaise with Front of House daily with regards to bookings, expected business and group/function requirements
- Ensure the proper storage of Food items.
- Keep accurate account of wastage, transfers, inter-companies and all administration
- Daily variances
- Daily prep lists and stock level
- Checking in invoices on arrival for quality and quantity
- Do accurate flight checks prior to every shifts regarding quality and quantity
Health and Hygiene
- Make sure the hygiene and food safety standards are met in all stages of food preparation, starting with the ingredients and ending with the finished dish which leaves the kitchen door
- Make sure that the professional equipment is in good conditions and signal any malfunction before it affects the staff or the clients
- Ensure Kitchen and Food storage areas are kept in a clean, organised and hygienic state.
- Ensure equipment is maintained in a safe, working condition
- Date and labelling, and hygienically sealing all relevant perishables
ALL APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED MUST CONTAIN
- An updated CV, showing correct duration dates (month/ year)
- A recent profile photo of yourself
- Educational documentation
- Written Reference Letters or Certificates of Service
- Food Portfolio and menus worked on
PLEASE NOTE: that we can only consider candidates, who are South African Citizens and preference will be given to candidates, who already live in the KZN area!
Candidates who live in other provinces, need to be able to go for personal interviews to the Garden Route, travel expenses might be shared with the client! Telephonic/SKYPE interviews will be conducted by our client first!
Due to the high volume of applications we do handle on a daily basis, we are only able to reply, via e-mail to those candidates, who meet our clients' requirements!