The Head Chef/Manager generally manages/leads and is ultimately responsible for the kitchen and all food related processes on site. He/She would use their knowledge and experience of professional cooking to lead a team of staff and efficiently run a kitchen. This position would be required to up the skill level in the kitchens and with the serving staff.
Education / Experience
Matric, Degree/Diploma in Culinary Arts/Hospitality, Computer Knowledge, Proven Management/Track Record, No less than 5 years experience managing/leading a kitchen team. Must have license and own transport.
To maintain a high standard of specified work in accordance with the company’s strategies and requirements. Translating them into the kitchen.
Primary role is to have excellent leadership skills and work calmly under pressure. Position the company as a leader and innovator.
- Work with the on-site managers to ensure they are aware of requirements. Will be required to travel and assist all contracts in the business as a central resource if needed.
- Ensure you manage the kitchen staff effectively teaching as you go on a daily basis, to ensure you increase quality and skill standards.
- Ensure food quality and consistency in the offering across all kitchens.
- Review the kitchen at a strategic level and ensure you implement efficient and effective processes. Planning is essential, so is ensure all kitchen processes are implemented and staff are trained on them.
- Have a proven track record with high end function catering, as this position deals with many functions of all descriptions and is responsible for developing and maintaining a functions guide. Requires creativity and constant change.
- Control/manage budgets and keep accurate records.
- To aid in achieving food cost, kitchen standards and overall objectives.
- Responsible for menu planning and costing recipes, food consumption, implementation stock controls, stock management, and ensure that the kitchen to meets set gross profit targets. This includes stock movement, rotation and ordering in the kitchen.
- Ensuring the team has high standards of food hygiene and follow the rules of health and safety as well as ensure you keep accurate up to date records.
- Have excellent cooking skills and creative ability and a strong eye for detail in all areas and train staff to spot this as well. Must be interested and passionate about food trends and have a presence on key social media platforms.
- Ability to delegate appropriately and ensure that teaching/developing of staff happens and is recorded as per company standard operating procedures.
- Manage Staff and related HR and administration as per company procedures. Organise the Staff roster and shifts.
- Drive and take charge of food quality and creativity in the business as a whole. Be a good representative for the company brand.
For this job you should have:
- a naturally happy, positive demeanor
- a creative interest and passion for food and cooking
- be organised and efficient with good computer skills
- have very strong communication skills
- be willing to work shifts and alternative weekends
- leadership and management skills
- the ability to organise and plan your own work and that of others
- the ability to control a budget and work with figures
- the ability to work under pressure and make quick decisions just keep the kitchen calm
- high standards of cleanliness and hygiene, both personally and professionally
- proven track record with examples and references
- Own transport