The Sungani Family is seeking a talented Head Chef to join their operation in the beautiful South Luangwa National Park, Zambia. The lodge is opening in 2022, but you would be required from July 2021. See dates below.
Start: July 2021 – End October 2021
2022: March 2022 – End October 2022
2023: Mid Jan 2023 – End October 2023
- Minimum 3 Years previous Sous/Head chef experience in an upmarket environment. Some experience in a Safari Lodge environment would be good.
- Food Hygiene and professional cooking qualifications.
- Proven experience and responsibility.
- Ability to multitask and work efficiently under pressure.
- Ability to coordinate the kitchen team to produce menus and food items with attention to detail, and high standards of presentation.
- Good understanding of food trends in the high-end Safari industry.
- Sound knowledge of wines.
- Knowledgeable of all dietary and religious requirements.
- Good knowledge of creating, implementing, and maintaining written control documents and training manuals.
- Good knowledge and understanding of stock procurement procedures and controls.
- Good knowledge of planning, budgeting, and departmental administration.
- A strict no alcohol while at work policy is in force.
- You will be controlling Sungani Lodge and Kulandila Camp (6km’s) from each other. You will be head chef for both properties but maintain full control and work hands-on from the Sungani kitchen. Therefore, it will be incumbent on you to train the chefs to a level whereby you are able to confidently know that Kulandila will execute and handle the day-to-day with minimal supervision.
- Have a strong ability and willingness to train, mentor, manage and continually improve the kitchen and wait staff team.
- Systemise and streamline the kitchen – ordering stock, food preparation and presentation, timely delivery, wastage reduction, hygiene, budget control from receiving to execution.
- Seasonal Menu compilation and implementation.
- Maintain and go above the established standards of food hygiene, cleaning, and food handling to maintain impeccable quality within the kitchen, which meets current standards of legislation and compliance.
- Managing, leading, and training the kitchen staff in line with the property food directive, ensuring food preparation to the highest standard.
- Effective Kitchen Administration to minimise shortages and wastage and effective stock control, assuming full responsibility for any shortages, wastage, and variances.
- To take complete responsibility for the profitability of the department.
- To manage and monitor all costs and implement measures to control them.
- Implement, monitor, and maintain constant communication between the Kitchen, Management, and Front of House staff.
- Staff food control: cost, quality, and quantity.
- Ensure the stock control, stock take, and requisition procedures are strictly followed according to par levels and company standards, ensuring accuracy.
- Perform other tasks and assist in other departments whenever reasonable and deemed necessary by Management.
Package on offer
- Location: South Luangwa National Park. Please note - the lodge is very remote and can be accessed by road or by airplane. You would arrive via Lusaka, Zambia. It is also possible to fly via Lilongwe, Malawi. You'll fly into Mfuwe International Airport. You will be met and either flown or driven to camp.
- Single Accommodation – tented.
- $ Negotiable based on experience.
- Travel to and from lodge included. Depending on where ‘home’ is one flight per season to and from Lusaka.
- 4 days per month off and 2 days leave per month. Time away needs to be strategised based on occupancy and need. Paid leave can be taken end of the season.
- The successful candidate will be requested to submit a list of equipment they deem necessary for the kitchens.
Submit your Application
Email Subject Line: Head Chef & your full name.
Please ensure that the following is attached before sending your application.
1. CV in WORD format
2. Most recent head and shoulders photo
3. Most recent contactable references and reference letters
4. Copies of all qualifications
5. Food Portfolio or Instagram
PLEASE NOTE: Your application will not be considered if the above documents are not in the correct format.
Closing Date: 15th April 2021