Pastry Development Chef - Food Technologist - International Group - Durban based
You will be a rare breed!
MUST HAVE - A degree or equivalent in Food Technology, Nutritional sciences / Dietetics with an added advantage for Quality management with experience in Research and Development / New Product Development in a Cake/Desserts/Baking FMCG manufacturing environment.
Areas of responsibility will include but are not limited to:
- Developing new products from concept to launch according to the supplied brief, including management of costings, Nutritionals, specifications, documentation and preparation for photoshoots.
- Searching the market for trends and new product ideas.
- Reformulating existing products for product improvements, cost-saving, best practice in clean-labelling and technical changes.
- Lab and production trials, launch productions and training of production staff.
- Designing, conducting and documenting sensory evaluations and tastings.
- Liaison with the Marketing Department in respect of concepts, packaging and the process of new product development.
- Compiling and checking ingredient lists, packaging information and specifications.
- Reporting and keeping complete record documents.
- Taking responsibility for all matters concerning sustainability and clean labelling.
- A food safety team member and acting as a liaison to the Quality Assurance Department concerning GMP, HACCP, FSSC/ISO standards, specifications, customer complaints and other quality matters.
- Factory support in any product-related technical challenges and production process improvements.
- Representing the department in different meetings.
- Serving as a contact to suppliers and the International Headquarters
- Implementing and maintaining of systems and processes for product costings, nutritionals, recipes and packaging information for the all ranges of products
- Functioning as the head of the R&D team with approximately 4 direct reportable and reporting to the R&D director.
- An additional tertiary qualification relevant to research and development of cakes/desserts/baked products.
- Experience with quality management, microbiology and legislative requirements.
- Laboratory experience.
- Experience in supplier auditing and related fields.
- Proficient in MS Project.
- A recognised training skills course completed.
- Having worked in related fields to the food FMCG manufacturing environment, e.g. marketing, presentation and promotion of existing and new products.